Our History

Our church was founded and organized in 1921 on Linden Avenue near Preston Street, by the late Rev. George Minor. The succeeding pastors and locations of the church during its formative years, 1923-1956, are shown below. 

Pastor

Years Served

Church Location

Rev. George Johnson

1923-1925

907 Linden Avenue-Home of Mother Eunice Baker

Rev. Marcus Collier

1925-1937

337 W Biddle Street and 340 W Preston Street

Rev. James Williams

1937-1943

900 Block Eutaw Street and 301 N Stricker Street

Rev. Ira T. Guthrie

1943-1945

1220 Park Avenue

(formerly occupied by Enon Baptist Church)

Rev. Andrew C. Brown

1945-1954

Rev. G.M. Grandison

1954-1956

 
In June 1956, Rev. Dr. Montague J. Brackett was elected to serve as the eighth pastor. At the time of his calling, Rev. Brackett was an Associate Minister at Concord Baptist Church in Baltimore.

In 1957, a Baltimore City economic development project forced us to move to our present location, 2035 West Baltimore Street. Despite our humble and uncertain beginning, God richly blessed us with continued growth and success overwhelming from this time forward.

Under Pastor Brackett’s leadership, the church flourished. We installed a Baptismal Pool, purchased an organ and piano, tithing collection box, pulpit furniture, and purchased the property at 2031 West Baltimore Street.

In 1975, we launched the Christian Education building project. The Christian Education building was completed and dedicated on October 21, 1979. Pastor Brackett introduced computer technology and a Christian education program for the church and these ministries were established; Prime Age Seniors Ministry, Family Bible Study, Cub and Boy Scout Program, New Member Orientation, Scholarship Ministry, and the Drama & Cultural Arts Ministry. Several activities, programs and services, workshops, and seminars have evolved from these ministries. 

Under Pastor Brackett’s leadership, we also increased the number of outreach services to our congregation and the surrounding communities. In 1985, we opened our Gift of Love Center, providing food and clothing to homeless individuals and low-income families within the church and community.

Pastor Brackett served the church and community for forty-seven (47) years until his retirement on January 2, 2003. He continued preaching and serving the Body of Christ until he joined the heavenly angels on high, Tuesday, June 16, 2009.

On March 2, 2003, Rev. Dr. Lorenzo Long was installed as our ninth pastor. Under Pastor Long’s leadership, the church advanced in the areas of technology and outreach. We purchased and installed office computers, a speaker and sound system, and a presentation wall screen. Pastor Long worked tirelessly with the Bon Secours Hospital Foundation for Baltimore neighborhood improvements. He involved the church more in community outreach and propelled the church closer to the Kingdom of God with his theme for the church, “Advancing towards the Kingdom of God through Praise and Worship.” (John 4:23-24). Pastor Long joined the heavenly angels on high suddenly on Sunday, February 6, 2011.

On January 13, 2013, Rev. Rodney T. Morton was installed as our tenth pastor. Pastor Morton is a Bible scholar, a visionary, and an explosive preacher. His visionary theme for the church is “Moving forward together” (Philippians 3:12-16). Ignited by the theme, recent initiatives implemented under his leadership for the edification of the Body of Christ have included: quarterly prayer services, special Palm Sunday worship service, Summer Breeze Morning Glory Worship Schedule, midday and evening Bible study for adults and children, leadership training sessions, revised core values and mission and vision statements, renewed emphasis on Black History Month, and increased our community partnerships with the adoption of Mary Ann Winterling Elementary School #150. In addition, five new trustees were added to the Trustee Ministry to assist the church in facing the challenges of today’s world and a Youth Pastor was hired to disciple young people in spiritual growth.

Also under Pastor Morton’s leadership, the church established new offices for the ministerial staff, Office of Communication, Business Office, Conference Room equipped with polycom, and a computer room; renovated lower level classrooms and offices; fully upgraded the HVAC system for the Multi-Purpose Center and Sanctuary; installed 26 new HVAC units for offices and classrooms; installed new energy efficient lighting in the Multi-Purpose Center and all classrooms; purchased classroom furniture and digital wireless microphones; installed a security system and security cameras, telephone-activated electronic entry switch for the Baltimore Street entrance, two computerized LED exterior signs, Servant Keeper church management software; launched the church website; and, upgraded the office telephone system and internet network connections.

In 2015, we purchased eight (8) properties located at 2019, 2021, 2023, 2025, 2035, and 2037 Booth Street and 13 and 15 South Pulaski Street. Our search for new properties continues.

As we “move forward together” through the twenty-first century with Christ as our guide and Pastor Morton as our leader, we expect that many more chapters of the rich blessings of God will be added to the history of THE CENTRAL BAPTIST CHURCH OF BALTIMORE CITY.