Our History

The Early Years

We worshipped at the locations listed below until 1957, when an urban economic development project forced the church to move one last time.  On November 18, 1957, we marched into the building at our present location.
907 Linden Avenue
337 West Biddle Street
340 West Preston Street
900 Block Eutaw Street
301 North Stricker Street
1220 Park Avenue
2031 West Baltimore Street
We honorably name the seven ministers who pastored the church until 1956.
Rev. George Minor
Rev. George Johnson
Rev. Marcus Collier
Rev. James Williams
Rev. Ira T. Guthrie
Rev. Andrew C. Brown
Rev. G.M. Grandison
In 1979, God blessed Central to open the Christian Education Center with offices, classrooms, and a Multi-Purpose Room, enabling us to enhance and further advance Christian education in our community. In 1981, we opened our Gift of Love Center Clothes Closet & Food Pantry to provide food and clothing to homeless and low-income individuals and families within our church and community.

Rev. Dr. Montague J. Brackett
Senior Pastor 1957-2002

Rev. Dr. Lorenzo Long
Senior Pastor 2003-2011

Rev. Dr. Rodney T. Morton
Senior Pastor 2013 - Present 

Moving forward...

We continue "moving forward together," practicing broad-based and informed decision-making that actively seeks input from all participants, making adjustments to meet the needs of an ever-changing world, and developing governance structures that seek to be responsible, flexible, nimble, and fearless. All this and more, but our mission remains unchanged. Go ye therefore... Matthew 28:19-20.